Royal Malaysian Air Force – RMAF Museum

The Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) Museum located at the Kuala Lumpur Air Base in Sungai Besi. The museum was officially opened on June 1, 1985.

The hangar was converted into a museum that housed several aircraft that were no longer in service.
A chain have been put around the planes located outside the hanger.

The first aircraft to greet visitors at the field was the Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer FM1001 – named ‘Lang Rajawali’ by Malaysia’s first Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman.

The first aircraft acquired for the No 1 Squadron. In the blogs, it was revealed the people could sit in the cockpits of the aircraft to get a glimpse of how it was to be in the pilot’s seat.

However, only one aircraft out of the few located on the field had stairs to allow the public to climb in and check out the interior.

There was not much history stated on all the planes except technical specifications such as the capacity, length and maximum speed.

In the hangar, people are allow to sit in the cockpit of the first plane on the left but the real cockpit was replaced with a fake terminal.

There was a “Flight Terminology Interactive System” booth but there was no personnel in sight to man it and there was a sign outside of it that read “Do not enter without permission”.

Inside the hanger, visitorcan get a chance to learn a little history of the airbase and the RMAF.

The Kuala Lumpur Airbase is the oldest base in the RMAF with a long aviation history. The base was handed over to the RMAF on Oct 25, 1960.

As the biggest airport then, the Sungai Besi Airport was jointly used by the military and the Department of Civil Aviation. It served  as the country’s first international airport before it moved to Subang in 1965.

Meanwhile, the RMAF started when the Air Force Ordinance was passed by Parliament on June 2, 1958 and it was then known as the Royal Malayan Air Force.

All in all, the RMAF museum is a place to visit at least once. The museum has a lot of potential to become a strong tourist attraction if more efforts where made to maintain it and also add new interactive activities.

The museum is located at Jalan Lapangan Terbang Lama and is open from 9am to 5pm on Mondays to Thursday and is closed on Fridays, On the weekends, it is open from 9:30am to 5pm, Admission is free.

For details on the museum and its open day, contact +603 2117 1202.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.